Monday, June 11, 2007

Sunny California

Well I’ve spent most of the last week in California, specifically at the Stanford Sierra Conference Center in Fallen Leaf not a stones throw from Lake Tahoe. Life is hard! Officially I was there to attend the National Plant Lipid Cooperative annual meeting – science being what I do when I am not riding my bike, or should it be riding my bike is what I do when I’m not doing science? – I’ll leave that decision to you. Either way I was looking forward to an opportunity to get some good hilly trail runs in, the conference leaves the afternoons free for recreation and with the bike left at home running was the next best thing. The only fly in the ointment was the fact that I neglected to check the weather before I traveled. Average temperatures for June are in the 70’s however on Tuesday and Wednesday the actual temperature was in the 40’s and low 50’s with frequent snow flurries. Felt a bit silly in the short sleeved shirt!

For Wednesday I decided a run up to “Grass Lake” was in order, described as a moderate hike of only 6.3 miles I reckoned maybe an hour 15 perhaps. Checked with center staff who assured me even given the snow it would be safe as it is only an 800 feet climb to Grass Lake. Seemed a pretty safe and easy break in to running at an altitude higher than I am used to. Starting at 6300 feet at the convention center that still meant a final altitude of 7100 feet, fairly high for a Maryland resident. The unexpected weather conditions mean my shorts and T shirt packed for running feel a little inadequate, there is nothing for it I will sacrifice my only warm jacket (my thin fleece, which was only packed as an afterthought due to the chilly Maryland morning when I left for the airport at 4:45 am on Tuesday) to keep me warm on the run.

The run started flat along the road bordering Fallen Leaf Lake this was deceptive and short lived at the firehouse I turn right and the climbing begins. Pretty bloody brutal straight up a road that deteriorates in condition until at Lily Lake it gives up completely and turns into a gravel path then a forest track and finally a rocky mountain trail. On the way I pass a deserted village that has been converted to a campground, then the going gets serious, rocky with steps cut into the boulders. Fantastic fun especially as the snow keeps coming down in brief flurries. I have been warned by one of the local guides that the stream crossing may need some creative thinking. Well I reach it and it’s no big deal, a few of the stepping stones are submerged but wet feet are no big deal. Easy peasey! Well nearly, another 200 yards and I find the stream crossing he was actually talking about. Pretty fast flowing stream with no semblance of a way across. The choice is simple turn back or wade through. Given the snowy conditions there was only one sensible choice – so I waded through, the water was deeper than expected, reaching mid thigh but was surprisingly warm (thank God I am wearing shorts and not long running tights). After the water the path, which is pretty much covered in snow in places, continued to climb and twist up several sets of steps. By now I am three quarters of an hour into the run and still no sight of the lake. As I have told reception at the conference center that if I don’t return in 2 hours to “send someone to come and look for me” I am beginning to think that I must have missed the lake (come on less than 4 miles in 45 min!) and that I’d better head back. I decide to give it another 15 min and if no sign of the lake then I’ll just retrace my steps. Well a few more twists and turns and there she is - Grass Lake. Worth the effort. I can’t find a way round so I just head back the way I came. Down is much faster than up but I realize I am pretty whacked as I catch my feet on small rocks and roots on occasion and only just avoid falling.

On the way down I am struck by how steep the trail is, no wonder the outward trip took so bloody long.

Round trip in a little less than 1hour 30 – including a detour which cost me about half a mile and probably 200 feet in wasted climb. Feel great after a shower though how I will manage the evening session of talks without falling asleep will be interesting.

After “crushing” the run to Grass Lake something more challenging was on the cards for Thursday. Even with the sore legs from Wednesday’s exertions the decision was made to take on the trail to Gilmore Lake. This trail follows the same trail as for Grass Lake for the first 2 miles or so then heads off up the mountain climbing another 1200 feet in about 2 miles. All in all it is listed as a “difficult” 8.4 mile trek climbing 2000 feet – just what the doctor ordered!

Knowing the trail for the first 2 miles made a huge difference and I was past the junction to Grass Lake before I even realized it. Then the trail as expected took a fairly severe upwards trend and I climbed thin rocky and often stepped paths for the next 1.3 miles. Must admit I had to stop and walk occasionally to catch my breath and wasn’t 100% sure I was going to make it. Suddenly I came to the next trail junction and I knew it was only just over half a mile to the lake – nothing was going to stop me now. The odd snow drift across the path made going interesting but in no time I was at Gilmore Lake. Took the obligatory photos to prove I actually got there and then headed down. The trip up took just about 1 hr 10 min and the trek down a little less to finish in a thoroughly average 2 hr 8 min (less than 4 miles an hour, wow). Still being a ex-pat Brit having dragged my sorry arse up to 8200 feet above sea level is quite an achievement – put into context by the fact that this is over twice as high as anywhere in the British Isles!

I can look forward to the “Black Fly in My Eye” trail run in New Hampshire in a couple of weeks (a 15 K trail run) safe in the knowledge that pretty much whatever they throw at me in terms of elevation I should be able to cope.

Cheers

Dogzbollux

No comments: