Sunday, June 3, 2007

Life is Good(ish)

Well it's Sunday (3 June) and just over two weeks since I took a header riding my fixie. THe shoulder has been far more painful than I had anticipated and as a result I have been a "bear with a sore head". But at last things are looking up a bit. This morning for the first time since my close encounter with the asphalt I managed to get out onto the trails on my MTB. Yippee! As a rather sedate ride was in the offing I was accompanied by MLW and two of my friends who are just getting involved in MTBing. A "social" rather than a "balls to the wall" type ride was the order of the day. I'm riding a rigid 29er monocog so I was heartily unsure of how the shoulder would hold up. In the event no worries!



Headed off from Rockburn Park to take in some of the more low key trails. Plenty of roots but no logs or climbs to speak of. After a couple of sedate miles MLW announces she is bored and wants to head into Avalon, what a girl! With my shoulder aching but not giving anything like the aggravation I had expected I was like a little kid, hooping and hollering like a banshee. Fortunately when my over-exuberance finally got the better of me and I "endo" I am far enough ahead of the others to get back on my bike and MLW not to be any the wiser.



Into Avalon (across Landing Road) and we do a short circuit heading west. Over the water up the other side and turn left to do the section I know as the loggy bit. Where the trail splits to give a choice of a short sharp rocky uphill or a nice big "over the log and straight up" I take on thelog and for only the second time ever clear it. Then it's over the water again and up the grinding uphill. Joe anounces half way that his legs are shot and needs to stop. On assessing the situation we trealize his saddle is far too low - a relic of his BMX days - and with this sorted he is a "new man".

After one short lap Joe and Dan head back and MLW and I head for a second installment of the same loop. As I clear the "big log" for the second time today (only the third time ever) I let out a rather over-enthusiastic cry of "Yeah I own you big boy" - fortunately there is no one around to hear.

Fun ride, confidence recaptured, all is right with the world and yes my bloody shoulder aches like a f**ker (worth it though).

Cheers, remember steekl is real ( just bloody heavy)

Dogzbollux

No comments: