Monday, June 11, 2007

MTB fun with MLW

Having returned from California - aren't those "red eye" flights fun and managed to survive Saturday entertaining the children and acting as "Mein Host" for some friends leaving party (they are heading off to Boulder CO) Sunday was looking a bit dicey in terms of MTB action. MLW was planning to head out to Rockburn on Sunday morning and we had a babysitter organized but my physical condition was going to be suspect. Around 8 pm on Saturday I got a call from Greg to announce his brother-in-law and friend of mine (Emil) has bought himself a MTB and did I fancy going along for the "maiden voyage" - well it would be rude to say no! Plans were made to meet up at 7:45 am and I even talked MLW into skipping Rockburn and heading out to Avalon with us.

Party on Saturday is a bit too much fun and so when the alarm rouses me at 7:00 am it is a "not very happy camper" that drags himself downstairs and packs the Dogzbollux-mobile for the forthcoming ride (MLW's hardtail and my SS). Pack some beer to toast Emil's newest arrival and we are set. Phone rings and it's Greg - Emil has cried off, due to some prior commitments! Nuts to him - we got beer and bikes.... LETS GO!

Ride from Landing - take MLW to see the jumps section (Lewis and Clark) and then we hit the trails in ernest. At the first major fork we meet up with Dan and Joe (see previous) and join forces. As a group of five we ride like little kids, grinning and laughing for best part of an hour. Head up to Belmont and down the rocky downhill. I'm leading and from somewhere behind I hear "F**K - where did the ground go?" Sorry Joe I forgot to warn you about that bit.

Everyone survives andwe end up doing a pretty reasonable ride - Dan and Joe have to bag it around 3/4 the way round due to time commitments but MLW, Greg and me do the "long circuit" that takes in the Ridge and Cascade trails back to Landing. MLW is a fully fledged MTBer and taking on stuff I never thought she would - Excellent!

Back at the car we drink our beers and toast Emils new bike in absentia. Then it's back to the real world for a while!

Well nice weather has finally hit the trails and it's good to see more bikers out there doing their thing. In the winter the riding is fun and I quite enjoy the solitude but the social aspect to MTB in the summer is a bit special. Of course every good thisng has it's cost and I notice a good deal of "trail widening" and the origination of alternative (mainly easier) routes as a consequence of the increased rider numbers - and possibly the use of the trails by more neophyte riders. Now I don't want to start soundiong like someones grandad but this does make me a little sad. New trails cut round obstacles is just plain bad news, similarly highway straight cuts through previously twisty sections. I know people of all abilities use the trails (and applaud this) but if an obstacle is above your level just get off and step over it - don't cut detours round it. God knows I have sections of the Ridge/Cascade that I never manage to ride, that's why I keep going back - once a section is easy it's boring and time to move on. Let's not widen the trails, tough technical single track is what we want - otherwise I would be riding my road bike.

O.K. rant over - shoulder's a lot better by the way1

Cheers (Emil get your arse out on that new bike of yours)

Dogzbollux

No comments: