Friday, June 22, 2007

INVASION OF THE GIANT SPIDERS

Mountian biking is always an adventure, especially a night ride when even the most familiar trail becomes a challenge. So I was more than excited to be heading back out onto the trails at night after my enforced vacation. I mounted the Nite Hawk Viper bar lights on the 29er monocog, chucked it into the "Bollux-mobile" and headed for the trails, via the liquor store - to purchase the required post-ride libation.



With several of the usual suspects out of town or otherwise tied up it was just George (on his Dos-Niner) and me heading out at around 9-30pm. My helmet light appeared to be playing up - but with the bar light (and no other bloody choice) we set out regardless. George took the lead to make the most of his superior lighting set up and we were cooking along quite nicely when George suddenly lets out a cry of "holy shit" and promptly falls off his bike! The reason it turns out is a bloody great spider perched right where George was about to plonk his front tire on a log. The camera is called for (as I've never seen a spider this big in the "wild" before) and I'm even brave enough to put my hand next to it for scale - George suggested my head but on reflection that wasn't going to happen.



After the spider sighting we cover a short loop on the HC-side (of Patapsco SP) and head to the more challenging BC-side. On the entrance to "the Monestry trail" George hits some rocks pretty hard, losing some skin and bending his rear derailleur hanger, resulting in some ghost shifting, but we quickly regroup and enjoy a nice climb. then it's the usual route (very similar to where I went on Sunday am). There is noting of note really (except that we saw another monster spider sitting on a log) until we cross the stream just before "Patarini" hill when my bar light breaks off it's mounting - BUGGER! For the rest of the ride it is me in front with my headlight (producing no more than a vague orange smudge on the trail ahead) and George behind trying to light both our ways with his NiteRider.



All goes swimmingly however, even down Buzzard Roack - which I hate even in the daytime (not a bit DH fan). I walk some of it, especially that bloody scary drop off at the end. Then we head back to HC-side, take on the Cascade - stopping for a group photo on the way and a gentle ride back to the vehicles. With the light issues slowing the pace we don't get back to the cars until midnight. So we crack open a beer each and George (ever the sophisticate) produces a flask of mojito (rum cocktail) complete with fresh mint - this is the life! Half an hour is happily spent chewing the fat and then it is back to the real world.



Oh, BIG UP for Nite Hawk bike lights by the way. I emailed them this morning and explained in a very hazy fashion what had happened to my lights and asked if they sell a spare part to fix it. Not only did they respond within hours to my email - they correctly identified the bit I had broken and are sending me a replacement part gratis! Now that is customer service! Bear in mind this is an inexpensive set up (approx $80) and I've had it for 2 years or more. If you need an inexpensive set up for night rides this might be for you; 10 watts of power and 2.5 hour burn time.

No comments: