Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sh*t almost happens again

What do they say about lightening? Nearly bloody proved them wrong on my way to work on Monday! I'm back cycling after my encounter with terra firma, but the fixie is stowed safely at home right now and the regular road bike is the preferred mode of transport. Still a bit nervous and am taking it easy so when I start down the only real hill on my commute and catch sight of a car in my peripheral vision I pay atention. The car is reversing very slowing from a drive way about a third of the way down the hill and is going so slowly I assume he has seen me... But no, he just keeps coming. On with the brakes and I grind to a halt almost touching his rear fender. He just seems to sit in the middle of the road so shaking my head wearily (I find politeness or displays of disapointment work better with car drivers than anger - they have the advantage in being surrounded by half a ton of metal, so a confrontation is normally a bad idea) and edge past him on his inside with my feet down. As I get level with his passenger mirror he starts to move again! I speed up to move out of his way and he blows his horn at me!!! Bloody cheek. Politeness be damned, I pull over and throw my hands in the air - "you pulled out in front of me you idiot" I scream. The man just drives of shaking his head clearly under the impression that I am some idiot biker who shouldn't be on the road.

It is only as normality returns that I realize the site of my latest bike related near miss is exactly where I fell off a month ago - spooky. (Perhaps the guy has a point about me being an idiot biker who shouldn't be on the road).

Anyway all is well that ends well - the guy in the end drives so slowly through his neighborhood that I keep up with him for the next two miles or so. Funny thing is the whole way his car is spewing out thick black smoke and although the guy makes a number of turns he doesn't use his signals once! There is an idiot in this scenario that shouldn't be on the road, but it is not me.

No comments: