Monday, June 18, 2007

"Billy-No-Mates" Solo Ride

A I mentioned in a previous post I like the social aspect of riding with friends, but I can also be an antisocial b*****d who just wants to ride! Having seen the doc about my shoulder on Tuesday and being reassured that I'm not going to make it worst by riding (the docs actual word were "no you won't make it any worse - the damge is already done" - I'm going to like this doc I can tell) and having really felt the benfit of the NSAID's I've been taking for the past few days I felt it was time for me to go solo on Avalon and see just how the shoulder would hold up. Solo meant I wouldn't have to wait for anyone - but on the other hand if thisngs went pear-shaped noone would be left waiting for me.



With it being Father's Day and my in-laws also being in town (all the way from "Old Blighty") time was not a huge constraint. I pack the "Bollux-mobile" with the 29er monocog and hit the trail from Landing Road at just before 8 am. Decided the Cascade was the way to go - this is the opposite way to the direction I usually ride which makes for a nice change. First log is a bit bigger than I would like without anytime to warm up but no hassle and I skip over it without incident. A minute later and disaster nearly strikes. Feelin' good and ready for an "epic-ride" I take on a small obstacle off to the right of the main trail and make as big a dogs breakfast of it as possible. It is nothing at all, a few small logs rolled together - I go over it every ride, this time I guess I'm going too fast, and instead of riding over it I catch some air and then glance the end log on the way down. Lovely! For about two seconds it's all dead cool - I'm scooting along doing a nice "nose-wheely" then I'm not - straight over the top and into the trail. Learnt a lot - shoulder holds up great, gravity is still working, I need beeter padding in my gloves.



Having picked myself up and checked noone saw me I get gingerly back on and take a more conservative pace for the rest of Cascade and Ridge. At the big crossing (by Morning Choice) I take a left down to the road and cross the river to head up the BC-side. Decide I have to take on Soapstone as Doug (another riding buddy) told me last week he clears this "every time". I have never climbed this in one go but what the heck. I give it EVERYTHING I have and crawl uncerimoniously all the way up to the road - I am shot! I must spend 5 minutes at the top just trying to catch my breath. After the Soapstone exertion I am found wanting at the next climb and end up pushing the bike to the watertower. Then life just gets better and better, lovely riding BC-side, I cover Sawmill Branch trail and come down - after a few miss navigations (due partly to my own stupidity and some trail rerouting) Buzzard Rock. I admit I am a bit of a wuzz on some of the downhills and walk some of the sketchier bits, but ride all the uphills (that's what I really enjoy). At the base of Buzzard Rock meet up with Chris (a guy I met at Lodi) he is out for an "extra loop" before meeting up with some mates for a ride from the "Park and Ride" we shoot the breeze as we ride along the road. When we hit Vinyard I take the trail and (due to time constraints) Chris stays on the road. Up Vineyard - I love this trail, just steep enough to feel you are working but not too uncomfortable - then back down Soapstone - easier this way!



Then back to the HC-side and back up the fireroad to the Rockburn loop. Finish the circuit with a blast up to Belmont and back to Landing. Great ride - a bit hesitant on the downhills but climbed all the uphills (except the one straight after Soapstone) so can't complain too loud. Finished with 18 miles ridden in 2.5 hours and with a big stupid grin on my face. Love riding with friends, love riding alone - Goddamn it I love riding!!


"Woo Hoo! When I feel heavy metal,

Woo Hoo! And I'm pins and I'm needles

Woo Hoo! Well I lie and I'm easy

All of the time I am never sure

Why I need you

Pleased to meet you!!!"


Blur "Song 2" - how I feel about my 29er monocog



Cheers "keep it real, keep it steel"



Dogzbollux

No comments: