Friday, September 4, 2009

Ridin' Some, Runnin' Some


Despite the new car and some initial doubts the fixie-commute continues and I must admit I am enjoying the road riding on my faithful fixie as much as anything!

Mountain biking (in the words of Borat) "not so much" - in a bit of a downer at the moment, last three weeks and the weekly ride at Burchfield has been a bit below par. Mind and soul just not in it at the moment. Ride with a Canadian guy three weeks hence, technically and physically a bit of a nightmare! Flat within a mile of starting, my mental state exemplified by the fact that I was happy to call it a day and just go to the pub. Erin (for that is the Canadian guys name) is mor up for it than me and once back at the car he fixes the flat and we head off again. BAD CHOICE as it transpires! Half way through "Annie's Playground" and Erin is crushing it, fastest ride so far "oop north", then disaster Erin - first ride for several years - misjudges a small log (yes I know i claim they don't have the up her - but believe me it is a pretty small log), and drops his front wheel on, not over it. Down he goes - in that "I'm a forty year old man and I don't bounce like I used to" fashion - and managed to tear his rotator cuff!!!!!!

Damage isn't immediately obvious - won't be til next morning - but confidence is shaken and with a tire that is still leaking air we cut the ride short - only doing the first half of the loop. Back to car, quick beer at the Crystal bar (almost my local now) and home. Next day Erin ends up at the doc's - MRI later and thankfully no surgery but 6 (count em - 6) weeks of physio and no MTBing! Bugger.

Mr "Busted Shoulder" Himself


Next week and "hard runnining" Mark is my partner - various screw ups timing wise leave us only 30 m in to ride - quick aerobic workut over first half of trail and we are done! this week me an MLW do similar half loop before stoping for beer/wine. Need to change up something, getting a bit stale. Might be time to think about running fixed?

Fortunately what Mi lacks in decent Mtbing it makes up for in running! Tok MLW to "track club" for first time - three one mile efforts with short rests tough workout! Then I hooked up with "hard running" Mark for a spot of road running. Saturday morning and a 14 miler planned - furthest I've run since the Washington's Birthday Marathon. Now Marks a bit of a runner! A 2:40 marathoner - basically well out of my league! I try and just stick with him, 14 miles in 1:35 kin ell - I'm sore till Wednesday!!!

Cheers

DB

No comments: