Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Weapon of Choice

Weapon of Choice (1987 Specialized Rockhopper)


Since moving up north my allegiance in terms of my weapon of choice has shifted. Back in dear old Md the Redline Monocog 29er was the preferred beast of burden. Big wheels better for taking on the logovers and rockgardens of Patapsco. But when move to Mi I left the Monocog behind and hit the trails on the old 1987 vintage Specialized Rockhopper SS conversion. Though the Monocog has now made the trip north ain’t seen a need to go back yet! Trails up here are tight and twisty, more suited to the compact feel of the Rockhopper and none of the technical bits (such that they are) really require the advantage of wagon wheels to make them ridable.
So the old Rockhopper is still the weapon of choice. Gone are the dropped bars previously featured (that was simply too silly an idea even for me) and now she is proudly sporting a Batman figurehead. Batman is my favorite of all the “Marvel/DC-era” superheroes cos he was the only one that didn’t have superpowers to fall back on when things got dicey. He was just a multi-millionaire with a flash car and a proclivity for wearing spandex strides! I am neither a millionaire nor do I drive a flash car (sorry Bolluxmobile) but I do probably spend more time than is healthy wearing spandex.


"Batman, Dinner Dinner Dinner"




The Rockhopper has various idiosyncrasies chief among them are the rear U brake housed under the BB (who thought this would ever be a good idea?) and the beloved Biopace chainring. With the SS conversion it only has the middle 38 tooth chain ring (originally it had a rather eccentric - by today’s standards 28/38/48 chainring combination. During the conversion process the Biopace chainrings scared the young guy at my LBS, where I’d taken it cos I couldn’t free the ceased chainring bolts. The poor lad was convinced he had torqued the bolts so hard during the removal process that he had “ovalized” my chain rings. Despite my assurances that they were supposed to be that shape he wouldn’t be convinced, and even refused to accept payment in some unshakable belief that he had destroyed my “vintage mountain bike.
She still rides strong though, and hopefully this week might even be party to a little nightriding fun, such that hasn’t been had since leaving Md. We can only hope.


Biopace and U brakes! Oh Yeah!!!

Cheers

DB

No comments: