Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Snowmaggedon! Hits Michigan


What a week! Started off kind of calm - Tuesday broke out my newest training aid! Oh Yeah. Couple of 2 lb hand weights, idea to build a bit of an upper body work out into my running. Lunchtime 5 miler, cold as heck and with the weights. Quite a change, slowish run but by the end I am mightily cream crackered.



Tuesday night and all hell broke loose - all over the news, fear in people's eyes! Plague! Pestilence! Four horsemen of the apocalypse seen in Mason (though that's normal for a Tuesday evening apparently!). BIG winter storm coming in, so bad MSU cancels classes preemptively to protect the safety of the student body - first time since 1994. I prepare with a trip to Meijer to get the essentials, milk, bread, bathroom tissue, snow shoes (I kid you not). In the end the world doesn't end but it does snow a bit.



With school cancelled and MSU calling in quits for the first time since 1994 there is little to do but..... shovel the bastard driveway for 2 hours!! Quite enjoy it actually, freakin cold but I'm out there in my "big coat" and am roasting, at least my body is. Turns out my hands, not so much! Hurt a bit while I'm shoveling but then stop, oops! When I get in doors realize maybe shouldn't have ignored the pain, two middle fingers on right hand (once they have warmed up) are an ominous purple and swollen, bit tingly (once the pain stopped too) - bit of frost nip I think.

Afternoon and after couple of phone calls it's time to break out the new snowshoes! Out with "Mr Winter" himself Eric - he's got 4 wheel drive so we take his car. Hit trails off Sylvan Glen and spend a toasty hour tramping through the woods, on trail, off trail - who cares cos who can even see the bloody trail? Big time fun, must organize a winter camping trip out here - snow shoe in tent the night and out next day (sounds like a plan). Come across a "deer overnighting spot" a group of deep impressions in the snow where the poor beasts have huddled down overnight. Glad I'm not a deer.

Friday, back at work and hit the usual 5 miler at lunch - wow! Whole different run with 12 inches of snow in the arboretum! 1.5 miles of breaking trail in 1-2 feet of snow (complete with my hand weights) slows a 35 mi run to a 45 min run and total body workout!!

Saturday and SWMBO and I head North!! It's downhill time. Mr Eric's half ton celebration so we hit the slopes - he's a bit bloody good so don't see much of him during the day. He makes it look so effortless - I'm a tense block that strains every muscle as I head down the green slopes. Feeling brave I do make one trip down a blue slope - wow scary. I'm not exactly a downhill kind of guy!! Evening is spent in the Coyote bar - frequented mainly by "beelers" in - good food (probably) and too much beer. Great end to a great week - need to drink less and run more - could be a challenge in the coming week with all the bloody snow - sidewalks not cleared yet and forecast to be as cold as a cold thing. Let yous guys know how it goes.

DogzBollux on a "beel"



Till next time

DB

No comments: