Thursday, September 4, 2008

Labor Day & Ganogathon (Race Report)

Life type stuff and weather has conspired to keep me away from my beloved 29er Monocog lately. To be honest I couldn't even remember the last time I'd ridden the beast! Weekends had been chewed up by family trips, including a trip back to the home country for my Mum's surprise 80th Birthday Party - Rockin.

Well the Labor day weekend was fully of bike related potential as the whole Bollux clan headed to deepest PA for a weekend with friends at Ganoga Lake. A mere 200 miles from the Bollux mansion and no chance to leave the DC area until 4pm on the Friday - in the pissing sodding rain with the rest of humanity. Never going to be a great journey, 2 hours to cover first 40 miles and life is grim. Despite dodgy start and a rather charming tradition of failing to actually signpost road names in rural PA (making even Mapquest directions hard to follow) we actually arrive at the base of the "mountain" we are staying on by 10pm - smashing!! Unfortunately we contrive to spend the next 90 minutes driving up and down the f'in mountain trying to find the road to the neighborhood we need, i the peeing rain and with fog so dense it's impossible to see the far side of the road. To make matters more interesting the local authorities obviously heard we were coming and after over 20 years decided now was the time to rename on of the rural roads we needed to take!


Nevermind, by midnight I was happily sucking down a beer (or two) at the lake in preparation for the weekends fun and shenanigans!



Saturday morning an it's time for the Ganogathon!!! An off road triathlon put together by fellow "night-rider" Todd for the benefit of residents and guests of the community. 1/2 mile lake swim, 8 mile Mtb and 2.5 mile trail run. Few "locals" take up the challenge but the participation from the Md-contingent is sparse. George is absent with good reason, but others (who shall remain nameless) have no excuse and just wuss it! At the allotted start time (10am) the lake is shrouded in think mist - no chance of seeing the buoy. I'm having very serious second thoughts (swimming being a complete bloody mystery to me). the race is postponed for 15 min and miraculously by the new start all is good and sighting in the water is a doddle. Clearest lake water I have ever experienced and at 68oF its a little cold for the Americans among us, but to us Brits it feels practically topical. I start next to a young guy wearing a NYC swimming club cap - "oh shite a pro" I think but a we head off I don't seem to loose any ground?! Either I've suddenly become a proficient swimmer or this guy is pants! Guess which? Yeah O.K. but I still have one of my better swims, actually exiting the water third from last (two placed higher than expected).
Where's the lake gone?

On dry land and we are more in my element - quick transition, foregoing socks for speed and it's off on the bike. "Hunt'em down" is Spence's encouragement as I set off, but it seems ages before I catch anyone! Finally pass what looks like a family (Dad, Mum and young boy) cycling in convoy on old clunkers. Another 10 min before I see anyone else but then quickly pass most of the others with the exception of Todd!! Game on! I know Todd can kick my British Arse on a bike so I need to dig in hard (cos I know I can gain ground on the run). Course is fantastic, and a credit to Todd, rocky fire road, spongy trail with occasional large rocks, interesting rocky water crossings and plenty of mud after the rain the day before. 8 miles and nearly 50 min of heaven! As I am approaching the end I encounter Todd off on the run with his dog (Pepper) in tow.






The big start!

T2 and Spence shouts more encouragement, "Todd's only a minute ahead, go on you've got him" wish it was that simple! Still I am encouraged as I head out and I'm fortunate to catch Todd about half way round the run course - initially I plan to run in with Todd and finish together, but a competitive little devil takes control as I catch him so I just say "Hi" and push on.

Finish to take on the esteemed mantle of "Ganogaman" a title that basically is an excuse to wear a silly Jester's hat for the rest of the weekend!

Sat evening is the community picnic and much fun and frolics (and beer) are had by all. I end up drinking home brew hard cider with a local couple which has me loosing my ability to speak and talk before 9 pm! As it turns out this is a good thing as George and Todd hook up with the same couple later in the evening and enter a "Twilight Zone" of drunken off road driving (in a Honda Civic) and drunk locals with loaded fire arms!! Still no one dies (as far as we know) so all is good.

Blood stained running shoes - thanks to no socks!


Next day brings the hangover from hell (no fun), bike polo (more fun than a fun thing). The polo starts very sedately, with manners and everyone being careful and degenerates within 10 mins to a scene reminiscent of "Max Max Beyond the Thunderdome". Blood is spilled and beer is drunk liberally but very few goals are actually scored!

Sunday night and Todd, George and Yours Truly take on a night ride round the Ganogathon course and into the adjoining state park - fantastic!

Then Monday and home to sanity and domestic bliss (and sleep).

Excuse the rambling (still sleep deprived)

Cheers



DogzBollux

No comments: