Monday, July 28, 2008

Close Encounters

After several rain delays the night ride was on. Very limited participation, due to work and family commitments among the group, with only Brian and me arranging to meet up (a little later than usual) to hit the trails. Nearly didn't happen though.
I was in fine mood as I approached the launch site - nice weather and the first proper test on my new light (after the previous weeks debacle). Windows down (no A/C in the Boluxmobile) ad radio turned "to eleven" listening to DC 101. Just as life can't get any better "Champagne Supernova" erupts from my car stereo speakers!!

Woo Hoo, I'm in heaven! Bike on my car, dressed in Lycra and Oasis blasting out.

"Slowly walking down the hall,
Faster than a cannonball.
Where were you,
When we were getting high?"

Singing my little heart out and probably not paying enough attention to what's going on around me, cos when I look in my rear view all I can see is a Police Car doing a good impression of the Blackpool Illuminations!! Sirens blaring (though not loud enough to drown out Oasis) and lights a-flashin'! I have absolutely no idea how fast I am going (though a swift peek at the speedo suggests only 35 mph), I signal and pull over and pray!! "Please don't stop!!"

Fortune smiles, as it transpires that I am not the object of this particular policeman's wrath (tonight at least), he blasts past me and off into the distance in a matter of seconds. With that little excitement over I am in no mood for any further encounters with authority tonight!

Brian and I launch shortly after 9:30pm and in a change to our usual routine we eschew Small Intestine and instead head straight to the Belmont Hill, over the road and down the gravelly descent that is made more interesting by the four or so small drops (all less than a foot) that even in daylight can catch an unsuspecting rider off guard. The new light performs admirably and we scoot down this section rather more speedily than I am used to. Over the top and through the water before I know it - I try riding along the log on the left, only managing about two feet of it before I ride off. It's been a long time since I actually tried that trick so it's good that the old confidence (or is it stupidity?) is returning.

At the rooty stoopid steep uphill Brian takes the direct route and I trail further on to take the easier route. I fail to make even this and Brian shows me how mtb riding should be done my crushing the tough line! Over the top and before we know it we are at the "four way" junction - now I have a plan! we take Ridge but half way along we hang a right down the "hike Only" trail - come on it's bloody dark! How many hikers are there likely to be tonight? Fun, Fun, Fun - the trail is all swoopy, rocky, rooty goodness. Bit of leaf litter to keep things interesting and a nice narrow section at the end bordered on the right hand side by a fair old drop!

At the road we head over to BC side and then along the paved path the other side of the river to the "Convent Climb" - my new favorite climb. Thru the tunnel, thru the rocky water and up we go - rocky and relentless. About two thirds the way up I'm slightly startled to come across a small dog in the middle of the trail I call "Hi Dog!" as I pass and the animal seems friendly enough. At the top I wait for Brian to arrive, and when he does he has our new K9 friend in tow. We have a quick chat about what to do with the dog and after concluding (i) it is not thirsty (ii) it looks healthy enough and (iii) it is wearing a collar we guess it is simply a dog from a local house out wandering. So with a swift "goodbye" we head off towards the Community College loop.
DogzBollux and new K9 friend
All is hunky dory until we reach the top of the rocky climb to the maintenance huts! Just as we hit the crest lights come on in a truck inside the compound! BUGGER. Being knackered after the climb I'm a bit slow extinguishing the light, but once it is off we stand still in the darkness. Lights flash through the trees in front of us then a voice over a tanoy announces "we know you are in there.... go back the way you came!" Sounds like a plan to me! We decide discretion is the better part of valor and descend the rocky climb without light, stumbling over roots and logs and swearing quietly. At the bottom we regroup for a little discussion.
Brian - man of mystery (and poor illumination)
Decide best way back is up to Soapstone and a stealthy little ride on the road back to the Water Bar. All goes without a hitch and despite now having two close encounters with authority in the space of three hours, all is good. At the top of the water Bar and Small Intestine beckons - take the trail over the stick laden trail and then as it is 11:55pm decide that right onto the New Trail and it's big logs will take us into tomorrow. Despite Brian trying to kill himself on the last water crossing we get back to the cars at 12:10am tired, but happy and without a ticket. Another 2 hour plus ride and after a couple of friendly beers time to say "goodnight" and head home to bed.
Smashing!
DogzBollux

No comments: