Friday, July 18, 2008

Best of Times, Worst of Times!

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

Some bloke called Charlie wrote that! He was talking about the French revolution (apparently) but may as well have been describing the past two weeks (since my last entry) in the Bolluxsphere!

Mtbing has been at an all time low - just one measly ride in 14 whole F'in days! OK it was a decent enough sojourn around the usual trails on Patapsco (even discovered some illicit renegade trail - but enough of that), but it was still the only action the Monocog has seen, just not good enough that man!!!

On the up side, the fixie is seeing more action than any time in recent history! With the "young'uns" out of school an agreement has been negotiated between MLW and me (aided by the high gas prices - every cloud!) that a cycle commute twice a week was acceptable! So for the past three weeks the fixie has seen the light of day at least twice a week! And the benefit in terms of leg strength is already being felt! Average speed up form a humble 16 mph (10 mile route) to a thoroughly average 18 mph - but hey heading in the right direction.

Meanwhile Mr Running Sean (not to be confused with Mr Biking Sean) is all hot to trot for the JFK 50 this year!! With him getting the "grand permission" from his respective SWMBO, MLW was forced to concede and grant me a day pass to have a go at this little romp. Fan-bloody-tastic! The reality of this commitment however is harder to stomach - long miles throughout the Maryland summer! So for the past two weeks we have been hardening ourselves by getting used to the inevitable "sh*t it's early" runs. Headlamps on, rising at 4:30am to hit the road at 5:00am giving us enough time to saunter round 15 or so miles before the 7:30am roll call at "swim team".

All in all a real dearth of mtb-fun but plenty of other stuff to keep me entertained!

Then this weeks night ride hoved into view Whoo Hoo! Gonna be a classic! I've just caved and purchased a "proper" light - a rather spectacular Light and Motion unit!!!! Got my Monocog back in original condition- rear wheel picked up from LBS with new free hub in place. New hydration pack - bigger pockets to allow multi day rides (more of which in later posts - I hope) and to top it all off a full bloody moon!!!!!!

New launch site and new company (Jon the gatecrasher). So George, Brain, Jon and DB at the new launch site - how much more fun could we have? Brian's bike is playing up from the off, over the first big log and problems are obvious. I turn to see what's up and Brian has already removed his back wheel - never a good sign. After a brief discussion we conclude Brian's free hub is playing up (ring any bells?) and will probably be O.K. but we decide to head back to the cars to get some lube to make it run more smoothly. Two minutes later on a small rooty uphill as I attempt to crank over a large root there is a "pop" and I literally fly over my bars from a standing start!! I assume I have snapped my chain - but no! Bloody F'in freehub (new, just installed, only half a mile on it) is knackered and spinning freely!! Ride over for DB! Push bike back to car swearing loudly and my "magical" nights riding is over! At the car I swear some more, rack my bike, say Goodnight to the guys as they head back out onto the trail and then I head home!

As I am heading for bed at 11 pm I reflect (somewhat sourly) that the guys are probably still riding and having a blast! Oh well there will be other nights with full moons and good vibes.

Cheers

DB

No comments: