Monday, December 7, 2009

Ridin' the Big Dog!!




So the Redline 29er Monocog was set up as a fixie not so long back and I've been riding it around the burg to get accustomed to the new feel of riding fixie on the MTB. Just so happened that this Sunday I had a couple of hours free! Meant to go for a road ride but with the snow decided an MTB would be a better option. Went for a night run Sat pm to check out the trails (bit soft in parts but mainly frozen) and then crossed my fingers for a nice cold night to firm them up. Sunday morning rose bright and cold - 25 oF lovely. Though the temp hardly warranted it I chucked on all my winter gear, in anticipation of slower than usual progress. The Big Dog!!


Hit the local trails off Dobie Road just after 8am and had the whole place to myself (pretty much). I rode EFI of trail - through to Meridian Road and back along the lower path - has been washed out but with the frozen conditions the trail was hard and perfectly ridable. None of the trails are what you would describe as technical but managed to negotiate my first log overs on a fixie - the second of which was a reasonable size and despite the snow I didn't come a cropper once. Took the trail to the "muddy Crossing" for the first time and it was frozen solid - rode straight across. Back closer to Dobie I took the more fun route back over the small stream and under the fallen tree. All went swimmingly.

Trails to myself!



Back on Dobie - headed to Harrison then as time was still available took in the Meridian Nature Area to the Elementary school - again nothing too challenging, but it was enough to just ride off road and resist the urge to coast when the trail got a bit bumpy. Think I'm going to get to like this.

Back home cold and happy - not until a lot later I realized how tired and sore my legs were - guess with all the fun I hadn't realized I was actually getting a reasonable work out -despite the slow pace.

Need to hit these trails at night now - definitely a viable prospect.

Monday and despite cold and potential snow managed a commute to work on the fixie - used the Light and Motion head lamp for a change - what a difference!! Actually able to ride at decent pace in comfort - a must in future - though the trip home was a bit dodgy in the snow which makes me wonder if the cycling commute should be be left for days when the weather can be relied upon to be kind.

Cheers


DB

No comments: