Wednesday, October 15, 2008

No Time!!!

Training is in full swing for the JFK and it's sucking up my "personal" time in a big way! So biking time is almost zero. Only real chance has been the night rides, managed a couple since the "fixin". Both have been as trios with George and Brian. Great rides, over two hours each time, hitting both BC and HC sides of Patapsco plenty of ups and downs and some really nice new areas of "trials-style" skills areas around the New Trail and Small Intestine trails. Over loggy sections and raised sections, lots of opportunity for falling (which I took full advantage of). Even hit the "old Ridge Trail" both uphill and downhill, gut busting and ass puckering respectively.

Most of my time obviously, however, has been spent running - my plan is based on trying to get to about 100 miles a week! Wow, that is far more than I have ever managed before - but then a 50 mile run is nearly 20 miles than I have ever run at one time, so heroic measures are clearly in order.

Started off early in September with about thirty miles a week, averaging running 4 to 5 days a week. Now it's up to high forties and low fifties a week and averaging 5 to 7 days a week running. Getting to higher weekly mileages is looking tricky, even with long runs topping 20 miles. Every week day lunchtime (when at all possible) a run is on the cards short (4-6 miles) only thing I can do to make these of value is to try and inject some speed. Whilst long runs (over 15 miles) are run at pretty slow pace (8:30/mile or more) shorter runs are taken at sub 8 min/mile and even sub 7:30 min/mile. I am hoping that this "speed" work will translate into ease at slower long distances. The plan is really to use back to back running days (at speed) and even doubling up runs some days and trying to get miles in any way I can. Looks at the moment that 100 miles/week will be a real struggle but with "fast"runs on tired legs I hope I am building in strength and endurance that will be up to the job come 22 November - just got to do my best and see what will happen.

At the moment I am enjoying a few days on the West Coast (La Jolla) at a conference. Making the most of the opportunity - today I managed 8 miles at lunch on a treadmill (how I hate those things) but also a 4 mile jaunt round Torrey Pines State Reserve which took me down a fantastic trail to the Pacific Ocean, along the beach then up a "beach" of a hill climb back up the beach access road back to the hotel. Loving it!! It would be nice to have included some photos (as the views in the Reserve were absolutely amazing) but of course in my supreme wisdom I left my camera at home! Oh well.

For now "that's all Folks"

DogzBollux.

No comments: