Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Slippery When Wet!

It's been tough to get out there and ride since the "Lodi" debacle. I've been raring to go but the weather here in Md has really not been playing fair. We've had pretty much the wettest May on record and the trails have spent much of the month as "no go-zones". Despite the weather last week we did have a few dry days prior to the weekend which allowed a ride to take place with a clear conscience. Turned up at Landing to be greeted by, not only Sean (Mr Regular) but also Doug (Mr Irregular). The aim was to try out the "Six Hours of Patapsco" route (wwwsixhourspatapsco.com). Fromthe map it looked like it took in mainly the best drained trails and should be easily ridable. Let me tell you guys (i) it was not as well drained as I thought and (ii) if the course we rode was actually the race route then I'd like to meet (and shake the hand of) any "Sports" rider who can do that loop in 40 min (as the website suggests). A solid ten miles taking in all the Ridge and Cascade fun, some milder Morning Choice and Old Loop Trail sections and for good measure the fireroad decent (and climb!) from the valley floor! Great loop but for mere mortals like me I think 4 to 5 laps in six hours is going to be a push rather than 6-8! We'll see.

Since then I have tried to be good and restrict my biking to Fixie-fun on the roads but at times I've felt like a recovering alcoholic watching all his ex-drinking partners getting hammered whilst he sipped his soda. Every time I have driven past Landing Road there are cars there with bike racks!! It's been killing me. As the call of the trails got louder so the call came from George for a night ride - what was the option? There wasn't one - I'm "in".

Met usual time, usual place - me with my now botched light set up (having lost my bar light at Lodi). Brian turned up just to say Hi (2 weeks post surgery, so no riding yet) and to laugh even louder at my lights. As it turned out lights performed absolutely bloody great - Small Intestine, three times (once out and twice back) a never ridden trail to the road, the fire road up from the parking lot (a'la 6hrsPat) and loads of other fun stuff. Rode for over two hours, not finishing till midnight. Coupl of quick beers before home and bed (to be followed by a very glased day at work)

Weekend and I weakened again - supposed to guide MLW round "sixhours" course but that didn't happen - another story! So just Sean and DB again. Rode Small Intestine to initiate Sean and then took on a trail neither of us had seen before! We looked for signs as to whether riding was permitted - no signs - so he went for it! Short interesting loop couple of sketchy sections, clearly not ridden for a considerable while so lots of potentially slippery leaf litter. Good fun - turns out (when we hit main trail again) it is "Hike Only" but signage is only from one direction (DOH). Still no harm no foul.

On the trail back to the car bump into Brian on his "comeback" ride - 3 weeks post-surgery and he handily makes us look like the amateurs we are as he rides fluently and without breaking sweat over trails that have Sean and me struggling. Nice ride again probably in double digits for milage so heading in the right direction for June 7.

Cheers for now - enjoy the warm weather, summer heat/humidity is just around the corner.

DogzBollux

No comments: