Friday, May 2, 2008

The Monocog Rides Again!!

"The Monocog is dead!"

"Long live the Monocog"

Yep as they promised the Bike Doctor in Linthicum got me a new frame (2008 model) ad rebuilt my Reline Monocog29er in exactly a week! fantastic service both by the shop and Redline! Thanks to all concerned.

So how excited was I to get my bike back? Think Bill Clinton interviewing a slightly overweight intern with a cigar fetish whilst Hilary is way on the election campaign! Well O.K. maybe not quite that excited!

So midweek bought the prospect of an inaugural ride on my new baby - and it semed fitting that this ride would play host to a whole range of other firsts too. Todd has installed his new hot tub, so we had to check that out, I had new shoes (in preparation for Lodi) and as we were riding from Todd's house all the trails we hit we completely new for me! Now I'm as excited as Bill!

THe ride itself (once started - after a slight delay caused by me locking my keys in my car - DORK) was a bit of a damp quib! I am still pretty sore where I banged myself last week and the thought of another smack in the groin was unthinkable so I was being mega conservative. I wussed every obstacle pretty much. My pedals and shoes were not talking at all so I couldn't get clipped for a good 80% of the ride, adding to my feeling of insecurity and the trails were (as Todd described them) "more rustic" than Avalon. Lots of leaf litter/debris on the trails, falled trees and super muddy stream crossings that just wanted to suck your wheels down and stop you dead. Exactly the kind of trails that would have been BIG FUN if I hadn't been sore, my pedals were working and Lodi wasn't just a few days away. Hopefully I can ride these trails again some time under better conditions cos they looked fantastic.

WE rode for best part of two hours (George and Todd being very patient with me - again - as I brought up the rear) Light issues slowed me more toward the end so we finally gave up the technical stuff and took a paved and fireroad route home.

Hot tub was.... well hot! And the beer was good and cold. Perfect set up we lounged around and chatted as we finished our beers not gettig home until close to 2am.

Since then all attaention has been getting ready for Lodi - pedal/shoe issue dealt with (hopefully, will confirm with a short ride tonight). Borrowed Todd's ligt so illumination shouldn't be an issue. Washed and packed pretty much all the bike gear I own (4 pairs shorts, 4 jerseys, 3 baselayers, 5 pairs socks, four pairs gloves, two pairs shoes, two helmets, numerous bandanas, and a partridge in a pear tree).

Psyched as Norman Bates on a bad day!

Seeya after 12 hours Lodi Farms!!

DogzBollux

No comments: