Thursday, February 21, 2008

Biking with Sore Legs!



My lack of posting has reflected my general lack of activity. To some degree this has been forced upon me by work related stuff and by injure (of which more in a minute), but as always the truth is that my own bloody laziness has also played a huge role.

With the Hat Run fast approaching some miles needed to go in running - and so of course right on track I get bloody injured! My sore leg (right calf) has been playing up big stylee and really hindering my efforts to get in any kind of shape. Then after a modicum of rest all appeared to be fine and dandy! To celebrate Biker Sean and I headed out on a recent Sunday for a good old fashioned MTB show down. I was up for it big time but family commitments for Sean meant we couldn't head to the Baltimore County (BC) side of Patapsco but instead decided to do a "balls to the wall" effort on the "Long Loop" HC side. Good fun and a pretty reasonable pace maintained all the way round. Then bloody disaster! Last sodding obstacle (the large rock on Cascade) and I come a cropper - been having trouble with this lately, balls it up more often than clear it - with the conditions being a bit muddy I don't get enough speed up and trying to hop over the tiop of the rock I pull the handle bars to hard and the front whell takes off! I fall like a F'in lemon and smack my right knee on said rock with a right old clout. Hurts like heck for a minute or two then subsides and I assume everything is cool. And so it is for the remainder of the ride and a couple of hours after. But then as I try and get up from the dinner table later in the day I can't! Bloody knee is locked solid and swollen to twice it's normal size. No pain but it takes til Wednesday for swelling to go down.

Following weekend I am in Belgium (land of the "cross cyclists"). Being at a loose end on Saturday morning i try and do a long trail run behind the hotel - well, I manage 45 min and my calf is completely shagged again! the last two miles I hobble around like an old man. A gentle effort on Monday confirms that all is not well in "calf-land" so off to the "Docs" it is. Good news - no real damage, bad news - torn calf muscle which will only get better with rest! "You can do anything that doesn't hurt" is the Doc's summation. But with hat only 6 weeks away he gives me less than 50 % chance of being fit! Bollux!

But then there is some good news - On the night of the lunar eclipise a night ride is scheduled with George (back from hand surgery), Mr Todd and fast riding Brian! I'd need to be dead to at least not try and go along! So just as the moon is starting to disappear behind the earth's shadow we hit the trails, snow on the ground, well below freezing and all is well with the world. Calf gives a few twinges but no real pain. We bounce around checking out conditions - a few tire tracks tell us we are not the first (only) folks out tonight. Obstacles taken head on are fine, but the occasional small log at angles across the trail cause a degree of chaos that needed to be seen to be believed. Frozen gears for Brian and George, frozen brakes for Todd and frozen pedals/cleats all round.

The "Three Amigo's"

End up doing the Long Loop again, plus some bits and bobs at the front end. My Nite Hawk (still trucking on like a real trooper) packs in mid way along Cascade so I have to rely on the limited illumination of my Princeton Tech Yukon for a good deal of the way back - just about enough light, but would be challenging on trails I didn't know well.

Finished off with the "new(ish)" section over the big logs and a fantastic time was had by all - after a dodgy start I was overjoyed that the leg held up - and i can feel the cahnces of the Hat happening creeping up!

Back to the cars for a couple of relaxing beers and a good amount of chat (it's been a while since we were all together) before the biting cold finally drives us into the sanctuary of our cars and back to reality for another week. I LOVE NIGHT RIDING!



the guys enjoying a beer post ride - bloody freezing



Summers nearly here guys

Dogzbollux

No comments: