Monday, August 6, 2007

The riding week started a usual with the Night Ride. Despite other "maybe's" it was just George and me again at the Park and Ride at 9:45 pm. Both on rigid 29er SS - my faithfull Monocog and George's Independent Fabrication.


At the Park and Ride we bump into two guys also with their bikes - we saunter over to "shoot the breeze" and ask if they are just heading out - thought we could join up (safety in numbers and all that). Tuns out they have just finished - they've been out since 6:30 and got lost, the ride was not intended to involve any nighttime action! When we explain we are just heading out they look at us as though we are insane - maybe they are right.


The route is a bit of a departure from the norm as we take in both BC and HC sides of the Park. Start the usual was up Soapstone but then head down Vineyard and take the road to the Other side. Head up Morningchoice fire road and then take Ridge to the Waterfall on Cascade. The whole way I am convinced there is someone chasing us down as I can see lights shining through the trees as I look back. Turns out it is the full moon shining through the trees! Just before the rockgarden on Cascade (at the waterfall) we discuss what we want to do and Georgw wants to have another go at "House of Pain". W decide the best way doen is the trail just prior to the major rock garden. I have run up and down this trail and found that to be challenging - so on my bike! At night! We both make it though even George (he of no fear) announces that it was a bit "butt clenching" at times. Over the Swingbridge and up House of Pain - fair bit of pushing again, I'm not sure that it is even in my ability level in the light with gears much less in the dark on a SS. Still plenty of fun. Then it's back to the usual, Old Santee Trail and Sawmill Branch (told you I'd look at the map) Then onto Buzzard Rock, where we take the straight route down that George calls "Double Drop" (and I call " get off and walk").


Back up Vineyard and down Soapstone then back to Park and Ride along Soapstone. We take a right turn at some pont o hit a more challenging uphill stretch, good fun - though with an impecable sense of timing my light burns out just as we reach it so i ride the last 10 min with just the light of my $10 Ever Ready LED headlight - just enough to aviod a major wreck.


Nice Ride - just over 12 miles, new trails, mixed it up a bit.


Couple of commutes in the week on the Fixie (here's a picture - isn't she a beauty?). I thought I

was pushing a reasonably major gear (52 x17) but I'm rereading Graeme Obree's Autobiography " the Flying Scotsman" again (a must read for anyone interested in biking - the man is a star) and he casually mentions that he road the British National Time Trial Championships (coming a close second to a certain Mr Chris Boardman) on a Fixie running a 52x12 gear!


Sunday and the group ride is going from strength to strength! Another good turn out at Landing Road for the 8 am start (O.K. 8:15 to 8:30 start depending on when we finally arive - sorry guys). A bit more competitive this week and we mix the route up a bit, Morning Choice to the derelict houses then left to meet the Ridge. Clockwise on Ridge to Rockburn Branch and back through Belmont. We were feeling so good at this point we added a short loop on Cascade, turning left after the first water and up the steep rocky hill. Then back down a nice gravely, rooty decent back to Cascade then back to the cars. Fabulous.


The only other thing to note was whilst we were waiting to set off on the ride I was asked by a lady who had just arrived if I could get her bike out of her car for her - No worries! But as I retrieve the bike I realize why she can't do it herself, she's heavily pregnant! "Wow - how long do you have left" I enquire incredulously "About three weeks" is the answer!! All I can do is ask her to be careful and wish her well. I hope she had a good ride and that everything is cool.


Cheers for now, lets enjoy the summer while we can winter and cold rides will be here soon enough.


Dogzbollux

No comments: