Monday, August 27, 2007

Are we bored yet?

Following from my last post - the stats from my Thursday "return commute" on the fixie were:

Distance: 9.6 miles
Average speed: 18.6 mph
Max speed: 29.9 mph

Hum...... Might stop posting these kind of stats - bit boring really isn't it!

Anyway the weekend was blessed with the best MTB ride in ages. Took an early start Saturday and hit Patapsco from Landing Road at 7 am to get an hour in before the ladies joined us. Took it pretty aggressively - nice climbs, crossed the swing bridge and introduced Sean to "the House of Pain". Then rode to Patarini Hill and down the Buzard Rock trail (including the bit at the end that I normally bottle and walk!). As we were running late we ended having to carry our bikes from the road by the swinging bridge up to the waterfall on Cascade then back to meet the ladies. Then we took in the "long loop" HC side to finish with a respectable 14 miles. Hotter'n'Hell though! we all sweated buckets - all good fun. Only downer is the removal of the nice big log at the Landing end of Cascade - not wanting to second guess the trail builders but that log was eminently ridable and not a real obstacle to walkers so I'm a bit nonplussed as to why the old chainsaw had to come out on that one! There are places on the trails now where the "grooming" seems to be getting a bit too aggressive for my liking.

Next weekend it's going to be me, my trusty 29er Monocog versus the Shenadoah Mountain 100! Yes, I finally took the plunge and sent off my entry fee - MLW was all in favor though she doesn't know how much it cost! So planning is afoot for next weekends fun, leaving Saturday early afternoon - should be epic.

Hopefully have a couple of blow outs this week to keep things turning over (might even take in a night ride assuming I can conjure up some company). All this and my eldest daughter left for college this week! To quote the T-shirt "Life is good" at the moment, let's see how long that lasts.

On a completely unrelated note - MIA at the moment appears to be "singlespeed outlaw". I hit his blog every week for my MTB fix (one of the motivating factors getting me out there into SS-land). But where is he now? Tried logging on a few times in the last week and he just isn't there! Hopefully he will return soon to fill the ether with tails of Frederickian SS and fixie fun. If not RIP!

No comments: