Friday, July 6, 2007

Slippery When Wet

You know the saying "there are only two kinds of cyclists. i) Those that have fallen off their bikes and ii) those that are going to fall off their bikes. " Well I have been a happy member of the latter group for as long as I can remember, but MLW is now a newly inducted member of this hallowed society.

Yesterday out cycling with our 9 year old she discovered that the "Slippery When Wet" signs on all the wooden trail bridges around our house are in fact telling the truth. Her mistake is easy to make (I've made it several times), she was scooting down a hill and round a corner and forgot there was a bridge just around the corner. Result? I think it surprised her just how quickly a bike can disappear from under you in those conditions. Fortunately the consequences were not too dramatic though she is sporting a rather large bruise and graze on her left thigh which prompted our 3 year old to announce that "Mommy's torn herself".

Now she has joined the group of cyclists that have fallen off I am hoping that she will be a bit more understanding next time I do it and with the "first time" over with she will be less concerned about falling off in future.

"Do you remember the first time?
I can't remember a worse time.
But you know that we've changed so much since then,
Oh yeah, We've grown."

Pulp "Do you remember the first time"

No comments: