Monday, July 16, 2007

Back on track

It's been too long since I actually put a consistent week together, but maybe the corner has been turned. Though not spectacular by anyone's reckoning last week was the best I have had in a while. As well as the somewhat abortive night ride with Doug (see last post) I also managed the commute to work on the road bike twice - hitting the "killer hill" both times (and it kicking my arse on both occasions). This weekend I decided it was time to get serious - so there was no MTB fun! Instead I hit the asphalt with Sean, a running buddy who is aiming for Boston qualification.

The plan was for a 17 mile loop (which given that I have't run for a couple of months - with the exception of the "Black fly in my eye" - was going to be somthing of a challenge). Things got more interesting on Saturday when, talking to another local runner, an "interesting 17 mile" route was suggested. This took in several sections of the Howard County Striders "massochists marathon" and so could reasonably be expected to be undulating at best. Never one to shurk a challenge the decision was made. So Sunday morning saw me crawling out of the tent I spent Saturday night in as a "test run" for this weeks camping trip with daughter #2 at 4:50 am! By 5:15 am Sean and I were on the road - complete with my EverReady headlight and a flashing rear light mounted on my Camelbak. Traffic was light (as you would expect at that time on a Sunday Morning) as we headed down Homespun to the Folly Quarter circle. Then it was right along Folly Quarter then first left. No idea what this road is but I've never run or cycled it so the element of adventure made it even more fun. This is pretty hilly and dumps us out on Tridelphia just at the bottom of the big hill, so turn left up the big hill and back to Folly Quarter then head back to Columbia. The journey back along Folly Quarter/Homespun was enlivened by the number of female cyclists out training for the upcoming "Irongirl" triathlon. Just Sean, me and dozens of lycra clad females!

Despite the hills and the distance the run was great fun and I felt no major tiredness or soreness - the pace was slow but about what I would want to hit for the JFK 50. Good fun and good run, 16-17 miles (the initial distance was perhaps a bit optimistic) in 2 hr 30 min (somewhere around 9:30/mile pace). This run has really but the bit between my teeth in terms of desire to run the JFK 50 - we'll see.

Cheers (the biking's fun... but running gets it done)

Dogzbollux

No comments: