Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Back on the Monocog (at last)

It's been far, far too long, but at last me and the faithful Monocog 29er finally got a couple of rides in in the past week. The last time I had ridden her was at McKeldin with Todd and George so it was fitting that the first ride was a night ride.



Lovely night - warm and dry - it won't be long before the night temps will get so high that we will be sweltering and won't be able to remember the bitterly cold winter night rides when the ice covered the bike frames and shoes after the first water crossing and the post-ride beer was curtailed due to the fear of frost bite and hypothermia. Best make the msot of the current lovely weather rode in shorts and summer jersy for the first time in 2008 and was absolutely comfortable.



The conspirators this week were Brian and Todd (George off climbing or some such daftness - even though the Nomad is back in action! What can I say?). As it's been so long we headed of on what had been the "usual route". Up over Belmont (where the trail is seriously boggy!) and then down the fun downhill. After the usual climb to the cossroads at Ridge, Mrning Choice, Rockburn Branch and the fire road the decsion was made to hit the BC side. Smashing! Over the road and the Soapstone climb beckoned us. I was the "rusty wheel" as so often but in a blazing show of defiance (to my early season lack of fitness) I crawled my way to the top without cracking! That is one serious climb, just when you think it is nearly done the trail just keeps getting steeper. So a fine start to the ride with all three up the climb and pushing on. Past the Community College and climb two was likewise vanquished by all three of us - turning into a classic effort this ride. At the top we were so full of exuberance that we decided to take the long route home so straight on down the Superhighway (first time in ages) and onto the Charcoal trail. Nearly lost here cos it's all been redirected but with Brian's local knowledge the correct trail is identified and off we head toward the big decents! Just as we head to the top of the decent we rather startle a young courting couple! I think they assumed that at that time of night they would be fairly safe and undisturbed deep in Patapsco State Park. So they were probably a bit shocked when three lycra-clad guys on bikes with lamps attached to their heads came bombing down the tail. That'll learn em! Get a room!

The decent (sorry forgotten it's name) was steeper and far more skethy than I remember - a bit of the but clenching side at times - and the back wheel was felt to rise a bit on the high side on a couple of occasions. Fortunately I got my arse back far enough behind the saddle (normally a shortcoming of my riding) to avoid disaster. As always by the time I got to the bottom I was a bag of nerves and the final steep drop was an obstacle too far and I bottled it! Needless to say Todd and Brian were sat at the bottom of the hill getting cold by the tiome I got down - those two having bombed down the trail at fearsome speed!!

Over the swing bridge and traverse the waterfall back to Casade - nice ride back past Landing Road - cleared both the Big Rock (first time in bloody ages) and the Rooty Stump - before taking the rail back to the car via the "New Section" with the big obstacles - by the time we got here my bar light was gone and I was relying on my helmet set up only! Makes life interesting.

Back at the car and it was all smiles! Great ride, beautiful weather and no-one is in a rush to get home. Few beers loads of chat and plans for a ride from Todd's house in a couple of weeks to celbrate the grand opening of his new hot tub!

Sunday and despite some bad weather late in the week the trails are deemed ridable - Small group - just Richmond and me! Richmond turs up having forgotten his helmet and despite my pleas otherwise he insists on riding without one! His dreaa sense is a little left field as well! Jeans and a sweater! Makes me feel a bit stupid in all my bike gear to the point where I forgo my shin and elbow pads and hope for the best!

First big climb and two bikers are far less than happy to be (i) overtaken by me on a rigid single speed and then (ii) to be overtaken by a guy with no helmet and dressed more for church than a Sunday moring ride.

We organize the ride to avoid the bits of trail likely to be boggy so it is a series of small loops on the HC side - take in the Big Rock on cascade twice (the "yip" is history) and all the fun bits of trail. Ride for about 80 min then time for Richmond to go to work and me to head home and prepare for the "Mommies Gone Wild" Roadride #2. Same course as two weeks ago similar issues with bikes and nerves - consensus appears to be forming that everyone wants to get road bikes and dispense with the hybrids - so a deal of time will be spent on CraigsList in the next week or so trying to find decent roadbikes at sensible prices!

Cheers for now - enjoy the nice weather!

DogzBollux

No comments: