Thursday, March 20, 2008

HAT's On!!!

It's bbeen a "long and winding road" back since I torn my calf muscle back in mid-Feb and with the Hat Run coming up at the end of March being fit enough was looking decidedly dodgy! Uncharacteristically I actualy heeded the Doc's words and didn't run at all for two weeks (into march) and then eased my way back in gently - the leg though not painful didn't always feel as if it belonged to me (odd feeling) and I found myself half limping more out of habit and fear then due to actual pain. Well in the end, with Hat fast approaching something had to give - I couldn't just keep running gently. Sean had a 20 miler scheduled for last weekend so that seemed like a good way to challenge the "dicky pin". As luck and family schedules would have it the weekend turmed out to be a bit of a nightmare - Seans family leaving to visit relatives on Sunday and MLW and me hosting a party on Saturday evening to kick off the training for "the Irongirl Triathlon" group - a group of friend who are doing the August Triathlon with MLW. The result of this was that although both Sean and I went out on 20 milers we did so separately rather than together - Ho Hum!.

The only slot that was available to me was early Sunday am - ot the best after the previous nights festivities but beggars can't be choosers. So up at 6;45 am and hitting the road at 7:30 for what was scheduled to be a three hour run. Mother Nature played here part, adding to the fun by organizing rain throughout Saturday night and into Sunday morning. The rain had just about faded out by the time I started but there was plenty of laying water to stomp through. Not exactly a trail run but not a road run either - I ran as much on unpaved surfaces as possible - around the golf course, Cedar Lane Park and round Wild Lake and Kitimaqundi. The highlight was the section around Kitimaqundi (opposite the down town) on the fishermans path - where I ran for about 1/3 mile in ankle deep water - smashing. Over 29 and then I ran up the powerline tracts for seemingly miles. By the time I decided I had better turn round I had been scooting along for just 2 hours and was beginning to feel it. Just then I bumped into Lenore - Hat Run regular and general ultrarunner - two's company so I run with her for a couple of paved miles before having to head home in order to make my 11 am curfew.

The road home is a little taxing - mentally and physically. Before I start I decide on a route, which is fairly unforgiving in terms of hills and even as I start to flag and the pace drops (I suspect precipitously) I am determined enough to stick to by preordained route.

Back home in a smidge under 3:15 - tired but happy, as the injured calf has been absolutely fine! With 15 min more than planned and no repercussions it looks like the Hat is almost a certainty.

Two days later I tackle one of my regular road circuits (about 5.5 miles) and feel great - the legs are fine and my aerobic capacity seems pretty good - I run well within myself and feel strong at the end. I resist the urge to look at my stopwatch on the way round as a slow time would be too disheartening and I would probably stop trying. When I look at my watch at the end I can hardly believe it - 2 minutes faster than I had been doing earlier in the year before my injury! The rest and biking must have done me good - Hat Run? Bring it on!!!

To celebrate I have even taking the fixie out for a commute - God I love riding that bike!

See you at the Hat!

Dogzbollux

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.